Beside being the birthday of our hero, August 1st marks the 1 year anniversary of Jerrybase !!
We'd like to mark the occasions with a little trivia contest. Winners will get Institute
for Jerry Garcia Studies t-shirts
and what not.
Email us your best answers to these 4 questions:
- What is the song Jerry played with the most different bands? (i.e. Grateful Dead, Reconstruction, and don't
forget the pre-dead configurations!)
Answer: Two songs were played by Garcia with six different bands:
- It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
was played by Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia solo, Jerry Garcia and John Kahn, Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders, Jerry Garcia Band, and Legion of Mary.
- Friend Of The Devil was played by Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia solo, Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band, Jerry Garcia and David Grisman, Jerry Garcia and John Kahn, and Jerry Garcia Band.
- Did Jerry ever play any songs publicly while that song was also top 10 hit on the Billboard charts, if so
Answer: The Institute has discovered at least these tunes...
- Boogie On Reggae Woman charting heavily for Stevie while Jerry was playing it with various Saunders side-projects.
- La Bamba was #1 the same week the Dead busted it out on Fall Tour in 1987.
- Good Lovin probably among many hits the Dead played in the primordial years, but we do have it on a setlist the same week in May 66 that it was #3 on the charts for the Young Rascals.
- Touch of Grey
, Hell in a Bucket
, and Foolish Heart latter-day hits from when the Dead finally got good at making music.
- Any songs (sung by Jerry) ever appeared as a Show Opener, Show Closer, and Encore, if so which?
Answer: Many songs fit the bill here, 21 by our count.
- How many public shows did Garcia play in Marin country?
Answer: Based on zip code data, we get to 102. With the most hallowed being
And Ladies and Gentlemen, I, I do believe we have winner congratulations to Ken Hirdt!
to all the participants, and to all our users, thanks for making this an incredible